Following the Provost’s Office Guidance for Engaged Learning Activities, students must complete the Student Registration for Engaged Learning Activity form for any in-person, U-M-related engaged learning activity that takes place off campus and within the United States. This enables the university to know the locations of U-M students and communicate public health updates as needed. Details are provided in the sections below.
- This page will be updated with further instructions should the Detroit Region (region 1) of the MI Safe Start plan, issued by Governor Whitmer on May 7, 2020, changes to Phases 1, 2 or 3.
- See Global Michigan for international travel guidance.
Following President Schlissel’s April 20th COVID-19 update, all non-essential expenditures, including travel, are to be suspended.
To travel for essential business reasons within the United States, faculty and staff should:
- Request approval from their school/college/unit
- Register travel in the U-M Travel Registry
- And ensure that the activity follows relevant stay at home regulations, including those related to human gatherings/in-person interactions.
To support the health and well-being of our university community during the pandemic, the following guidelines for off-campus U-M engaged learning activities are in effect during the ongoing pandemic. These Provost’s Office guidelines will subside once the Detroit Region (region 1) of the MI Safe Start plan, issued by Governor Whitmer on May 7, 2020, reaches at least Phase 6: https://www.detroitchamber.com/covid19/michigans-covid-19-status-and-reopening-phases-by-region/
The purpose of these temporary guidelines is to track the locations of U-M students engaged in off-campus U-M-related experiences and enable communication and public health updates as needed.
The guidelines apply to U-M-Ann Arbor students participating in off-campus activities that have an in-person component (e.g. in-person internships, research, volunteer projects, or other educational experiences). They do not apply to any on-campus activities or any activity offered exclusively in remote format. Clinical rotations in the health sciences are not considered engaged learning activities for purposes of this guidance.
Off-campus, university-related domestic activities for individual students are permissible if students meet the following conditions:
- Students must register any in-person engaged learning activity that takes place off campus and within the United States through the Student Registration for Engaged Learning Activity form (view instructions and preview the form here). Within the registration, students must agree to follow any applicable laws, rules, regulations, orders, and public health guidelines at their host location. They must also agree to follow any applicable U-M requirements for returning to campus after their engaged learning activity concludes.
- If there is a travel component, students must register travel in the U-M Travel Registry.
- Following the U-M suspension of domestic travel, students may not use U-M funding for non-essential travel.
Clinical rotations in the health sciences are not considered engaged learning activities for purposes of this guidance.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org